Step into Lisaopolis:

Pennsylvania's Most Interesting Blog

01 Dezember 2005

Sometimes talking to kids just makes more sense

Today's Most Interesting Thoughts are transcribed post-facto; utterances have been filtered through my own "subjective treatment..." (Some Grad Seminar, 2003) and thus may not be as accurate as a close transcription, which is OK since my main purpose is to relay the sentiments and for the love of Heck, this is just a blog! Ah, the strife of the blogger/researcher.

These snippets from a phone convo tonight with a ten-year-old buddy of mine from home. These remind me that sometimes, kids' priorities are refreshing as heck and I'd much rather hear them than fretting over every little word and theoretical framework and issue and whether or not my students are learning and other things that keep me up at night. That, and even though little dudes can be "too cool for school" (Summer Camp, 1999), it's nice to know that sometimes, just sometimes, they sneak in that they still think you're alright. Just don't try to hug them in front of their friends. Here you go:

"...yeah I recognized your voice, DUH. You have a sing-songy voice. I've known you for so long I can recognize it right away"

"Yeah we're doing like a buddy shopping thing for some kids from Hurricane Katrina. You know what would be really dumb is if someone really needed things and their parents or someone gave them money and they just bought something like an X-Box for $150.00. You should only buy an X-Box if you have a job or something."

"I lost SIX teeth in the last few weeks and I just lost one like ten minutes before you called. The dentist said this was a phase I'd lose a lot of teeth in. I'm gonna be RICH."

"Yeah it's snowing here today too...a snow day? Hm maybe just an hour delay, you know where we go in at nine instead of eight, that'd be cool."

"...My grandma bought all six Star Wars movies...-and- (whispering) she's like the biggest Lego fan EVER."

"OK, I gotta go now actually cause I really have to pee..."

6 Comments:

At 02 Dezember, 2005 07:40, Anonymous Anonym said...

Hi Lisa! Yes, sounds like a fifth grader that I know. Sympathy for "Are the kids learning anything?" mode...we are grading now, and I am one of the few teachers who is not lying and inflating in order to make certain 8th graders look better than they are...hope all is well. Getting attached to Yeungling Lager. Love, Cindy

 
At 02 Dezember, 2005 09:18, Blogger Emily:) said...

Awwww, that was so cute. I loved the quote about losing his teeth and becoming rich. I was the same way!! Of course, I on;y got a dollar for a tooth. Kids now are probably getting ferraris;)

 
At 02 Dezember, 2005 11:03, Blogger Lisaopolis said...

Yes, I'm doing the 'these sloppy mistakes are not acceptable if you want to do well in this course..." I think it's especially 'shocking' for the kids who have never really had to do any work per se and have always gotten high grades and no one's corrected them and just been elated if they say ANYTHING. Not me.

Oh well, it's not a popularity contest:) Press on! Drink Yuegnling!

 
At 02 Dezember, 2005 11:04, Blogger Lisaopolis said...

Hehe, I'll have to find out what the going rate is for lost teeth. For me it was a quarter per tooth. Calculate in inflation, etc. and I bet they DO get Ferraris...!

 
At 05 Dezember, 2005 15:26, Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I like the part about not buying an X-box unless you have a job. Like who that has a job has time to play X-box?? You'd have to give it to your 10-year-old-friend or something....


Oooooh. I get it now. Damn, kids ARE smart.

 
At 12 Dezember, 2005 14:06, Blogger Gina Grace said...

Yeah- I like the bit about needing a job before you have an x-Box.

I saw an add on Craiglist the other day under "wanted electronics"
It was something like: "I am looking for an x-box 360, I only have 150 to spend. I know that's a lot less than the going rate, but I don't make very much money and anything helps. Please call or e-mail if you can help."

I was astounded.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home