Step into Lisaopolis:

Pennsylvania's Most Interesting Blog

05 September 2006

September already?

First day of school again and I'm BEAT. I think this puts me in like 92nd grade. I'm excited and exhausted all at once, which, in the end, is kind of a good feeling, no? A long work day. It even feels like fall. Boom. Summer. Over. I wore socks and long sleeves and a jacket for the first time in MONTHS. And it was kind of a wake up call to have 25 faces all starring at me in my first class. Tomorrow I have three sections back-to-back of a recitation group. Maybe I'll videotape myself in the first session and just play it for the remaning two. Hm. No, this is a class I'm teaching in English and it's totally new for me and I'm looking forward to it (see: not-yet-worn-off novelty of new semester, Exhibit A).

Teaching to do, studies to pilot, exams to prep for, non-stop action....of course not to forget the daily walking up to campus thinking "I'm STILL ..HERE?".

Comps papers submitted on time at the end of August and now I am prepping for my oral defense. Honestly, all I can do is think about what they are going to trash. But on the other hand, seriously, I never thought I'd get this far. So no matter what happens, I feel like I just maybe, might, perhaps, could be pushing on through to the next thing. Or not.

Well, whatever will happen next will be a 'next thing' but whether it's "THE" next thing...ah well. It will be MY next thing. At any rate, I've scaled a hurdle. I can physically feel it. I feel like I'm starting to feel like I know something. Childbirth will be a snap after this. Yes, you can laugh at that and quote me later and make me eat my words if needed.

It's damn frustrating, to be sure. Gaaah! I do see why not many people get PhDs. It's astounding how long it takes if anything remotely 'odd' happens in the course of one's studies (see: the committee that finally could, Exhibit B). Oh, the humanity! err, humanities! I just want to be "ABD" so I can join the zillions of ABD-ers out there and start planning the home stretch and/or next move.

OK, off to bed. I have to turn off CNN, as they are showing Bush flapping his jaws on this Osama guy all of a sudden. Nice manuever from issues at hand. Hmm, midterm election much? War on tarrah! Immigration! Gays! Stem cells! Eye-wrack! Oh my!

Survey: should I tell the guy I went on a date with--I know, you read that sentence again, it's shocking, yes, it's true, but to be honest, I was so taken aback that he just up 'n asked me if I wanted to go out, I mean NO ONE does that anymore, that I said yes--on Sunday that...yeah, maybe not so much? Or should I just not get back to him? I don't want to be mean but then again...don't want to lead on. This would be a good time for my internet stalkers to speak up...

Oh, and there was a bat or a bird in my bedroom last night, flitting around. It freaked me out so badly that all I could do was scream, squint my eyes and realize that I had to open my fire escape door while slipping under the protection of my duvet. It was a most unpleasant feeling and I do hope it was a bird in the end. I think it's gone. I didn't see it fly out the door since I was under the duvet and all. I'm just hoping. And as a friend said today, "If it happens again, do NOT call me because I will NOT come help you with that!" A reminder that...people just do not tend to like bats. Which is why I still maintain that it was a bird, in the end. I will not go in to how I have no clue WHERE the flying creature came from...

Lastly--a moment of silence for the Croc Hunter, may he rest in peace:

14 Comments:

At 06 September, 2006 07:24, Blogger Kat said...

Survey says: Be up front with him. Just tell him you're not up for it. But definitely say it like it is.

Congrats on handing in those pesky comps papers! I know the oral will go wonderfully. Hang in there! CONGRATS!!

 
At 06 September, 2006 13:41, Anonymous Anonym said...

I can't find your e-mail...........'course I don't do much of the blog thingy.
Where be it? (Little Richard voice: 'Help me! Somebody help me!")

Greg

gregthewhistler@yahoo.com

 
At 06 September, 2006 14:18, Blogger Kat said...

And I'm totally with you on the Croc Hunter. I literally shed a tear. So sad.

 
At 06 September, 2006 17:12, Anonymous Anonym said...

I think the bat represents your defense--I sometimes lie in my bed with my sheets over my head imagining the vampire-like qualities of my committee--oh, wait, this was real?

 
At 06 September, 2006 18:08, Anonymous Anonym said...

Oh Lisa...you deserve a great big PRIZE!!!!! Love, Cindy in Harlem PS Ditto on the Croc Hunter. Shocking how immediate life can be.

 
At 06 September, 2006 19:37, Blogger Lisaopolis said...

OMG I never thought about the symbolism of the bat. Maybe I need to get off the qualudes. Or on them. Who knows. Just kidding. Just say no!


Yes, I am really sad about Steve the Croc Man. And angry at people who say things like 'well what do you expect, job risk and all..' Whatever. He was a conservationist and got us all to not be so afraid of nature's creatures. Crikey!

 
At 06 September, 2006 22:16, Blogger the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I miss Stevo too. Did you know he apparently PULLED THE BARB OUT BEFORE HE DIED?? He is so frigging hardcore. I love him, and he's always with us in spirit.

I know what you mean about the first day being exhausting. Today was my first day back in the corporate-world-type workforce and GEEZ! I am totally pooped. And I have more homework than grad school. So as you can see, being ABD is waaaay overrated.

I'd give the guy a chance, but if you absolutely cannot, then level with him, or he will never. get.the.message. and. go. away. Trust me!

 
At 07 September, 2006 11:24, Anonymous Anonym said...

E-mail? Pleeeeze?

Does ANYBODY know it?

THANKS so much

Gregthewhistler@yahoo.com

 
At 07 September, 2006 14:04, Blogger Lisaopolis said...

Greg, who are you??

 
At 07 September, 2006 14:55, Anonymous Anonym said...

HI!

I am Greg from Tennessee. I have a pile of musical instruments too and was wondering if you would be interested in doing some trading?

THANKS !

gregthewhistler@yahoo.com

 
At 07 September, 2006 19:11, Blogger Lisaopolis said...

how the HECK did you find me here? ;)

 
At 08 September, 2006 12:00, Anonymous Anonym said...

That is a GOOD question !

I have been trying to find an F-4 for years and occasionally I will do a Google and see if I can find one. Mandolin was the first instrument I learned and I have always loved the oval hole sound.

On about the 14th page of a Google Search Results , I came across the photo on your blog of your stack of instruments and thought I would try and get in touch.

Do you still have that F-4? I have a bunch of stuff I could trade (I never have any instrument cash anymore!)You know how stuff accumulates over the years.

A friend of mine from LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ago teaches in the Dept. of Cellular and Molecular Physiology at Penn State ; Dr. Carol Whitfield. She is a picker from way back and, I think, still plays in a band sometimes. That is my sole PA connection although I did perform at the National Folk Festival when it was in Johnstown in the 90's.

In any case, whattya think? Drop me a line.

gregthewhistler@yahoo.com
www.gregcornett.com

 
At 12 September, 2006 17:15, Anonymous Anonym said...

Cool to know how many people really connected with croc man!

I really didn't see him in action. I just saw the book that I got for my buddy's 7 year old son and...well obviously the book was not marketed to me. But hey i liked animal planet, that seemed interesting.

now the following could be seen as insensitive but i'm just trying to put the pieces together...

WOW, L!!? you feel like he "got us all to be not so afraid of nature's creatures." !? huh. i never saw you as being afraid of nature's creatures (save, of course, freaky bats and other animals that inspire reasonable fear from humans) In the book I saw he seemed like more of a showman who kinda liked to test himself with dangerous feats. But I do know my friend's son totally dug the man so I appreciate him for being a positive guy.

 
At 17 Oktober, 2006 15:20, Anonymous Anonym said...

Hey, Lisa! I was going through my bookmarks and found you, again. Not that you were lost and long forgotten but I just don't get to searching much anymore.

Umm, the bat... Yikes... those suckers get stuck in your hair and you are doomed.

Preston was in mourning for a while for Steve Irwin. He's his idol. Along with the Mythbusters and Dirty Job guys.

Hope to see you around the holidays.

Marsha Brady

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home